Monday 11 June 2012

Coffee Hit, Raw-Style: The Macaccino

Chocolatey-coffee-style goodness!
Some days I just can't get by without a mocha. Or as some like to call it, a mochaccino (or variations thereof). It's been this way since boy Earthly appeared on the scene. Just call it immense fatigue and his obvious desire for sugar and caffeine!

Of course, nowadays I realise (more and more with every lapse back into my old habits) I JUST can't do dairy. Or sugar. And even in those rare instances I could get a soy version, it just doesn't do it for me. It's not the same, and besides, I don't really want to be consuming processed soy either.

I've struggled and struggled with this. I clearly have an addiction, most likely emotional. But you know what? I'm ok with that! Now just give me my damn mocha!

I've come across lots of recipes for "raw coffees" of all sorts, and raw "hot chocolates". But nothing hit the mark, not least because the vast majority of them resort to using nut milks. Bleurgh! Sure, I can eat almonds but I simply cannot be bothered with the faff that it takes to make a milk out of them, just for this rare treat (even if it does end up being daily)!

The solution? Meet the Macaccino. He's a real beaut, if I must say so myself. Once you meet him, you'll fall head over heels in love. Just imagine Sundays on the sofa curled up with this and a great book...

The Macaccino (makes approx 300 ml)
Ingredients
1 ripe banana
1 tbsp sultanas
2tbsp cacao powder
1 tbsp maca powder
1 tbsp date syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract
Mug of filtered water
1-2 drops raw coffee extract (optional)

Blend well until smooth, frothy and the consistency of chocolatey-creamy-coffee :) Serve in your favourite espresso cup or go with the French thang and have a bowlful. Sit back, relax, and dream of warmer climes and long, lazy days. Yummmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...