Thursday 31 March 2011

Crackers for Mother's Day

...And I can only assume I am going completely crackers. I was up half the night last night making these when I could have been catching up on some lovely, yummy, much-needed sleep whilst baby Earthly no. 2 was snoring lightly in her hammock. But no, I baked instead. And not for us but for my mum and Father Earthly's mum. Totally crackers I tell you.


However if you are in need of a nice wholesome heartwarming Mother's Day gift then you won't go far wrong with these: my Lemon & Black Pepper Oaties (recipe coming up!), and these Rye & Caraway Crispbreads from Gifts from the Kitchen. Yummy!




Lemon & Black Pepper Oaties



1 1/2 cups medium oatmeal
2 tbsp oat groats, roughly ground
1tsp sea salt flakes, crushed
1tsp black peppercorns, crushed
rind of 1 lemon and juice of about 1/2 lemon
pinch of bicarb of soda
2 tbsp olive oil
4-5 tbsp hot water


Mix all ingredients together to form a slightly sticky dough - the oats will soak up the moisture quickly so it's easier to work with if a bit too sticky rather than too dry. Knead until smooth on a board floured with oatmeal and roll out to 1/4 inch thickness then either cut out rounds with a cutter or make a couple of traditional large, quartered rounds.


Place on baking sheets in a moderate oven - about 190c / gas mark 4 for about 20 minutes, until golden.


Cool on wire racks and then package up or eat immediately with good cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...