Monday 7 March 2011

Beware the Cling-Ons



I'm typing, as usual, one handed today. At least it's my right hand for a change, though typing with my left hand does give me the smallest bit of masochistic-style satisfaction that I am exercising the other side of my brain and stretching my capabilities somewhat...


All you mums will know what I'm talking about. Especially if you have a baby or toddler who is a real velcro-baby and will not let you do anything on your own. 


Over the last few weeks we've managed to get into a rough kind of routine with Molly, who's still only 3 1/2 months, and it has proved a rare sanity check in some instances. However, there are some sticking points, and naptime is one of them.


Not for love nor money can I get her to settle down for a daytime nap nicely. If I'm at home all day with her I want to be able to have an hour or two to myself - hands free! - to get on with some of my projects. But the babe has other ideas. The most I can manage with her is about ten minutes - after a long hard battle. 


I remember reading Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution with much fervour but increasing disappointment when we were going through this with Harris. However, as I've noted elsewhere, Harris was very much an exception to pretty much every rule ever made. It didn't matter what we did or how much we comforted him - he kept crying anyway, and didn't sleep... But Molly has proved herself capable of being comforted and of sleeping, so once I've got a free hand or two and some spare minutes, I think I'll be reaching for it again...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...